Patients in Barrow will be moved into a new cancer ward after the water supply was found to be safe. Transfers to the new purpose built Coniston Suite at Furness General Hospital was postponed after Pseudomonas bacteria was detected in the water. Pseudomonas can cause a range of infections, particularly among those who have a low immune system through illnesses such as cancer.
But after tests, the suite has been given the all clear to start admitting patients.
George Nasmyth, medical director at University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, said: “We would like to thank you for your patience during this time, and apologise for any inconvenience caused. I would like to re-emphasise that patient safety has been our priority throughout this process.”
The Coniston Suite and newly revamped Ward 9 at Furness General Hospital was officially opened in October but was shut down on its opening day when the bug was discovered.